Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I have been working on this story since I got to India.

I have not gotten very far. (In my defense, my laptop died.) I hope feedback will kick me in the butt a bit. Go for it, y'all.

---

Title Title Title

Susceptible. That was the word Frank used, when I told him Deena was taking me with her to India. “You know how your mother is susceptible,” he said. “To things.” He cleared his throat awkwardly in between. His Adam’s apple bobbed like a fish.

I raised my eyebrows, which was unfair. I knew what he meant.

“You know how she—” He cleared his throat again. “How she gets carried away.”

When I didn’t reply, he added, finally, “I just don’t want you to get caught up in her mess.”

Which was kind of him, really. Fatherly, even.


We waited to check our bag behind a woman whose suitcase was ten pounds overweight. She argued with the airline representative behind the counter. Her double chins wagged. She was a medical missionary, she explained. She was bringing medicines, stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, expired sutures—every ounce was necessary. Sweat trickled into her eyebrows.

I nudged Deena. “Do something,” I muttered.

Deena shrugged. Her bra strap slipped down her shoulder, past the sleeve of her tank top. She did not pull it back up.

“All of that stuff is for a good cause,” I said. “It’s to save lives.”

“I don’t like missionaries,” Deena said. “They give me the heebie-jeebies.”

The woman was stuffing thermometers from her suitcase into her carry-on. One of them fell to the floor, its clatter echoing on the tiles, and spun in circles, spiraling away from the woman. She heaved a huge, gusty sigh that was nearly a sob, and bent over further to pick it up, pushing sweaty bangs out of her eyes.

“That wasn’t very nice,” I said.

Deena shrugged again.


We had tried this before, but never in India. It had been Amsterdam for Kabbalah, floating down the canals with red thread tied around our wrists. I still remembered the crepes with ham and cheese, and the uneven cobblestone under my light-up sneakers, bought on sale at Payless a week before that first adventure. They pinched my toes after only six months, when we made our way to China, to try Buddhism this time. I switched to noodles, and sandals. A cart rolled over my big toe during our visit to the Great Wall, and the nail turned black and fell off. We went back to the States in January, with Frank; he was a Mormon, he thought Deena would love Salt Lake, he wanted to teach me to ski.


After the divorce, Deena made it as far as Reno. She ordered me to stop talking to Frank, but he called every Sunday anyway, to make sure I had finished my homework. Deena pretended not to notice, but the day after I recited “Hiawatha” to Frank over the phone, Deena asked how I felt about moving to New Mexico, to live with the Navajo nation. It was not a genuine inquiry; the suitcase was open on the kitchen table.

“They’re really connected, down there,” she told me.

“To what? The Internet?”

Deena frowned. “No. To birds. The sky. The Great Creator.”

“I thought you were over God,” I said.

“No,” Deena snapped. “I am over Mormonism. I am over Christianity. I am over Frank.” She paused. “There won’t be any Internet with the Navajos, Laura. There may not even be any telephone wires.”


The Navajos lasted the longest, longer even than Frank, and we had stayed with Frank long enough for me to call him Dad. But even the Navajos, who did have telephone, and sometimes Internet, soured with time. That was when Deena decided we needed to visit “the real Indians.” Which was when Frank drove from Salt Lake to the reservation, to take me to coffee, and warn me that Deena was susceptible. It was the first time I had seen him in three years.

I looked like Frank. When I was twelve, I had been happy for salespeople at the mall to mistake him for my real father. He was balder, now, than when I was twelve, and fatter. He put his hand on mine and asked me, please, to come live with him again in Salt Lake.

“That must be illegal,” I told him. “You never adopted me or anything.”

“Taking you to India in the middle of your junior year should be illegal. What about the SATs? What about college?”

“They offer the SATs abroad, you know. For diplomats’ kids and stuff.”

“Deena is not a diplomat,” Frank said. “Deena is a nomad. Deena is a parasite. Deena—”

“Needs looking after,” I interrupted. “Besides, I’ve never been to India.”


We were followed. Onto trains, into buses, around street corners, through markets and villages and down dusty rural roads. Villagers fed us and fed us until I was sick outside of a temple, half-digested pav bhaji splashing across the pile of shoes by the entrance. In the markets the salesmen showered Deena with anklets and bangles until she could barely lift her legs and arms, and the farmers gave her the ripest fruit from their stalls. Everybody wanted a photograph. Deena was small and brown and dark-haired like them, and I was tall and blonde and unusual-looking, but everybody wanted a photograph with Deena. I sat tucked into the rickshaws and did not ask questions. Deena would never have given me answers, anyway.


We were looking for an ashram—not just any old ashram, but a particular one, a traveling one. Every year the guru moved his meditation center to a new village or city, so only his true followers could find him. Deena had no doubt that she was one of these followers, but also no idea where the ashram was. We saw a lot of India that way, those first few months. Deena refused to stay at hotels, or buy bottled water. I got well acquainted with the feel of dirt beneath my cheek after I could no longer squat over the Indian toilets, my legs like rubber after voiding the entirety of my stomach in one steady, brown stream. Deena promised there would be real bathrooms when we reached the ashram, and that I could buy McDonald’s in the next city. I called Frank from a payphone outside the fast food strip in the train station, and asked him how much an airplane ticket to Utah would cost from Mumbai.

“Actually,” Frank told me, his voice more vague than usual through the cracked plastic receiver, “I’m not sure that’s a good idea anymore, Laura. I’m actually, um. Actually, I’m seeing someone new.”

He was kind enough to tell me he hoped everything would work out, and that I was a bright girl, and would go far. He said to send his best to Deena. Then he told me goodbye, not unfeelingly. Then he hung up.

My hands shook as I put the phone back on the hook, and my French fries spilled across the ground. A little boy darted forward and began to eat them, crouched like a stork, knees bent and wobbly from hunger. I handed him the whole cardboard container and went to find Deena in the Pizza Hut. She had cheese on her chin.


Pascale was expecting us. He showed us to a musty room with thick red curtains and a yellow bedspread on the lumpy double bed. A gecko crawled across the windowsill, and chanting wafted up from the courtyard through the open windows.

“Those are the sounds of morning meditation,” Pascale explained. He had a faint French accent, teeth stained from betel juice, a neatly-trimmed beard. He was handsome—more so when he smiled. “Normally I lead the meditations,” he said, “but I have been waiting for you.”

He looked at me when he said it. I blinked. He did not.

Deena laughed. The sound rippled across the room and sun streamed in the windows, flooding the small space. The air was suddenly stifling. Pascale tugged at his collar. Then he cleared his throat, and the room cleared with it; he was not smiling anymore.

“You and your daughter are most welcome,” he said to Deena. She beamed, and he paused, his fingertips pressed together; then he opened his palms, cupping his hands in greeting.

“But, of course, the minimum age for my ashram is twenty-five. I hope you understand.”

His hands fell away to his sides, now, fluttering like torn ribbons, apologetic, pathetic. I felt myself stand up straighter, and open my mouth.

“Not a problem.”

Deena said it. She clapped her hand on my shoulder; she had to reach up to do so. Her head bobbled away below my line of sight as she continued, “Laura’s not the spiritual type, anyway, she doesn’t have the gift for it.”

There was a long silence.

Then Pascale said, “I see,” and I could tell that he did not believe her. “In which case—shall we leave Laura to do the unpacking? And I will introduce you to your fellows downstairs.”

Deena waltzed out of the room right away, her scarf flapping behind her. Pascale lingered a little longer, looking at me. He was short, shorter than me, even if he was taller than Deena. He crossed his arms and drummed his fingers on them.

“We will make use of you, I think,” he said, finally, and then he turned and walked out.

I opened the suitcase, and started to unpack.


I cleared tables, washed dishes, hung laundry on the line, while Deena smoked shisha and sat cross-legged on the warm stones in the courtyard and chanted until she was hoarse. The ashram was a crumbling, haphazard facility, with one woman who did the cooking and a man to watch the gate. My arrival was, in many ways, propitious; had I not been there to do the rest of the household chores, Pascale would probably have moved the ashram again, which he did, usually, by leaving in the middle of the night and informing no one of his next destination.

Rachel told me this. She was Pascale’s former lover, which was why, she said, she held the record at having found Pascale no fewer than thirteen times. The next best was Desmond, a South African man, at six. “It’s because I slept with him,” she said. “Once you’ve had a man’s penis inside you, you have a pretty good idea where he’s headed next.” She said penis in a French accent: pen-ees. She looked at Deena when she said it.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jessica,
    Title title title! I love it, never change.

    Okay, so to the story:

    What I love:
    You construct such simple yet beautiful sentences that convey so much with very little. Or like, much with moderate. Examples: "bobbed like a fish." Whoa! And "He crossed his arms and drummed his fingers on them." And reciting Hiawatha on the phone. I could go on.

    Your characters are fascinating! I like how adult Laura has to be. How she calls her mother by her first name. Frank seems really old and nice and awkward. I think he's great.

    One critique I have regarding Frank (and I think this can apply to a lot of the story) is that his calls/then seeing someone seemed to happen really suddenly. Maybe that was supposed to be the point. But this story is so rich in detail and emotion that I kind of want to see what you've given us drawn out. More scenes. Navajo scenes! More about Frank.

    Pascale is super interesting. I'm pretty sure you're going to keep going with this, but I'd love for the beginning to be longer... I'm also really hooked. I can't wait to find out what is going to happen (I think you're going to keep going? Maybe you're finished? If THAT is the case then maybe the more minimalistishness is a good idea? Idk! But I want it to keep going. This is so interesting and crazy. Like, wtf, Deena? Laura is a kid!!!)

    Will Laura meet anyone her age? That could be interesting. More interaction with people, please!! The last paragraph seems vague-ish, like I'm supposed to know what Rachel is talking about, but I'm not quite sure. A lot of other characters' one liners are incredibly to-the-point, say a lot in few words, etc. Like, "We will make use of you, I think." and the part about Frank seeing someone.

    I love your plot and characters and can't wait to see where this story goes. Laura and Pascale and Frank seem the most interesting to me; Deena... her interesting-ness is making her seem really annoying... so maybe we should get something that shows why/how Laura loves her and wants to protect her?

    Okay, great story, and thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to read more :)
    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thanks Caitlin, all very helpful. And no, this isn't the whole story, this is the beginning of something longer, if that helps anyone else in the critiquing process! I should have made that clear at the start, but I won't say anything else--silence from the author during workshop! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great start, for certain. I like the backbone of the plot, the setting, and the characters currently introduced. I also like that it wasn't quite clear the relationships between the characters until a few paragraphs in; this can establish a nice foundation of keeping characters at a distance and giving the author, you, complete control. What's a little dangerous about that is, you have to have complete control over your characters and in order to do that, personally, I want more descriptive features about them. Not, per se, Laura's or Deena's hair color, or the size of Frank's beer belly (maybe?) but more their mannerisms and interactions and decision making processes. I know you've got a ways to go with the plot (aka I assume you have at least another five or six pages with this story in you) but take some time and beef up what you've got so far, it's great to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general, very well written - particulalry nice paragraph describing previous trips w/ her mother, reaction from her father in the final sentences. Some fantastic details there, and we also get a lot of what her family is about. Good balance. Nice.

    Logic issue - School? Has she switched schools a lot... Friends? Is she totally isolated socially? She's a teenager...

    Like the description of traveling in India...

    Would like to know what Pascale looks like.

    How did her mother manage to find Pascale?

    Her motive for India in intereting... A desire to take care of her mother. For the most part, in India, narrator seems frustrated w/ her. Eventually wants to go home. Does she worry her mother will not be able to take care of herself

    People are drawn to the mother.. Seems like she has a funny kind of charisma. Intereting. Would like to see this in action a little more tho.

    Excited to see where this goes!

    Oh, and I respectfully disagree w/ Caityn. There is no way Title Title Title works as an actual title,
    Unless I am
    Missing something in your story perhaps relating to some deeper concept of titles, what a title does, what it is to be a title. Smiley face!











































































    Scho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I title everything "Title Title Title" until it has a title, so no worries, not some bizarro metaphor, Caitlin is just excited to see those three words again! And thank you, very helpful, much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh it is so good to read your work again :)

    Love: the dialogue. I feel like your characters speak to one another in that perfect not-going-to-directly-answer-anything way that people often use without thinking. I feel that Laura's conversations with Frank are particularly sharp. Also excellent work on the unsaid dialogue, like "I blinked. He did not." Those three words say SO much about Pascale (though for me, the sentence, "We will make use of her, I think," crosses into I-am-clearly-a-wicked-character-danger-Will-Robinson-beware! territory...but maybe he'll be weird/bad in an unexpected way...or not nearly as creepy bad as expected--that might be a really interesting way to go. I also think that the descriptions sparkle in my favorite straightforward pull-no-punches sort of way (like when she takes about diarrhea and the less glamorous side of traveling).

    I do wonder a bit about where Laura's friends are. If she's moved around so much and gotten used to never making friends, surely she still has a casual acquaintance or teacher she'll have to inform she's leaving? Frank's reaction mostly addresses and calms my education questions--even if the actual education details aren't quite spot on (dunno, myself), I as a reader feel like my concerns about her schooling were covered. But yeah, is she a pariah?

    And why/how this ashram? How did she find about him--internet? A past follower? We know that she's one of those running-away-to-avoid-fixing-her-life, always-seeking sorts of people, but what does Deena actually hope to get out of this? Spiritual happiness or the bragging rights to say that's what she's seeking...but then there's this sexual attraction that seems like a huge reason for Deena's being there. So did she want to sleep with the guy from the start of her search? And then why?

    And what does Deena do to afford all these crazy adventures? Clearly they are experiencing India on the cheap, haha, but plane tickets, moving vans, hanging out in Amsterdam, China--none of that comes cheap. Even hiding out in the Navajo nation, she's gonna need to work and pay rent, etc. Did she make it big in the lottery a long time ago, or does she take what she can get, or does she have some skill/training that everyone needs (nursing, teaching, etc...these don't seem so likely).

    One inner paragraph transition: from the sentence about Desmond into the next one, it read to me that Rachel could find Pascale because she'd slept with Desmond.

    I imagine that it's coming (maybe nearer the climactic moment?), but I wonder where Laura's anger is! Even if she loves the adventure of moving and seeing these place (or if she's more like her mom than she thinks, and has a slight propensity to martyrdom (just a different sword!)), I'm still a little shocked that she recounts the horrible sickness and what sounds like straight-up homelessness (does no hotels and dirt beneath the cheek mean sleeping in the streets?) with such lightness. Either they find this ashram a little faster or Laura would have to react at some point. If Deena needs Laura to take care of her (as Laura believes), I'm surprised that Laura has done so little to insist that they live better...

    Loved reading this. Title Title Title :)

    ReplyDelete